General Position Summary
The Vice President – Underwriting leads development of the Underwriting Department’s policies, practices, and programs for all lines of business. The position is responsible for planning, developing, and implementation oversight of risk standards and underwriting policy. The VP – Underwriting is responsible for development and monitoring of plans for ensuring profitability and spread of risk. The VP – Underwriting also is responsible to work in concert with other departmental leaders to support corporate initiatives and promote effective and efficient collaboration of operations.
- Lead development and ensure implementation of policies, practices, procedures, standards, and guidelines to achieve profitable results and acceptable loss ratios for all lines of business.
- Consult and advise underwriting staff leaders on complex risks and make underwriting decisions on risks exceeding their authority.
- Actively participate on corporate management team.
- Establish internal Underwriting Department objectives.
- Build and coach Underwriting Department leadership team.
- Provide oversight for selection, development, training, promotion, and discipline of Underwriting staff.
- Supervise Underwriting leadership. Monitor performance, provide guidance, feedback, formal performance assessment, and salary recommendations.
- Develop, monitor, and assess Underwriting productivity and service standards.
- Develop and oversee strategic plans and projects assigned to or involving Underwriting.
- Participate in product and pricing reviews.
- Cooperate with other departments to manage agency force relationships.
- Plan, coordinate and/or conduct Underwriting training sessions for the agency force and other departments within the organization.
- Occasional travel to agents’ offices and various outings to promote the organization’s missions and initiatives.
- Attend industry events designed to maintain professional expertise and market awareness and establish network of contacts.
- Prepare and/or present Underwriting Department reports for the board of directors.
- Other tasks as requested by Executive Management.
- Develop and monitor department budget, administer salaries, and other departmental administrative tasks.
- Actively participate in continuing education.
- Embrace and promote the corporate mission.
- Maintain regular and punctual attendance.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Skills described in job description.
- Excellent oral and written communications.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Thorough understanding of risk selection, policy forms and endorsements for all lines of business. Must have an in-depth knowledge of policy content and coverage intent. Must be proficient in the fundamentals of all lines of business, including an understanding of regulations, rating, rules, manual, company guidelines and procedures, and state laws.
- Working knowledge of policy systems, on-line systems, and testing protocols.
- Excellent organizational skills. Ability to prioritize, organize, and handle multiple tasks in an efficient manner with on-time delivery.
- Ability to lead projects to achieve designated objectives.
- Ability to work independently and carry out assignments to completion with minimal oversight.
- Proficiency in use of computers including productivity software and electronic communication systems.
- Ability to travel with occasional overnight stays.
- Maintain work performance at satisfactory or standard level.
- Ability to comply with department and company policies and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S./B.A.) from a four-year college or university
- Industry education (CPCU highly desired)
- Ten years insurance industry experience
Manages all Underwriting activities of the organization.